31 Mar 2011

Crime Map for Hout Bay between 16-03-2011 & 29-03-2011

30 Mar 2011

More details on Hout Bay murder

More details on Hout Bay murder

By Caryn Dolle/iol.co.za

Hours before Veskes murder, a person had called in saying they could hear a woman screaming in the Saddlers Close area. But no address or street number was given.

More details have emerged about a Hout Bay murder which has made headlines in Turkey – with reports alleging that a family member may have been involved.

Suzan Veske, 41, originally from Turkey, was found murdered in her Saddlers Close home early on January 5.

Earlier this month a number of Turkish publications quoted Veske’s mother, Ilknur Yilanci, as alleging she suspected a relative had been involved in her daughter’s murder, which she believed had to do with three life insurance policies taken out in Veske’s name.

Yilanci alleged that when her daughter had visited her in Turkey last year, someone had called her from Cape Town demanding that she return and threatening to kill her if she did not.

On Tuesday, Hout Bay police spokeswoman Tanya Lesch divulged further details.

She said in the hours before Veske’s murder, a person had called in saying they could hear a woman screaming in the Saddlers Close area. “But no address or street number was given,” Lesch said.

She said officers had gone to the area, but by then the screaming had stopped so they had been unable to locate the home in question. They then left the area. An ADT security guard had been at the home, but had been unable to get inside and had therefore also left.

ADT had been alerted by a neighbour.

Later, Veske’s husband, Munir Veske, called the police saying he and his son had returned home at 1.15am and found his wife’s body in the lounge.

Lesch said officers had not found any sign of forced entry. Veske’s laptop had been stolen.

One of the witness statements said one person had been seen leaving the home.

Since investigations were ongoing, Lesch said she could not divulge details. Suspects had been identified, but arrests were yet to be made.

Last week, Veske’s husband said he had heard about the articles in Turkey, but had not yet read them.

0 Comments Continue reading

22 Mar 2011

The latest crime map for Hout Bay for March 2011

28 Feb 2011

Be Alert!

Be Alert!

We have been asked by SAPS to advise all neighbourhood watch members that they need to be aware that there is a small gang, possibly three or four people, who have been targeting properties in Hout Bay over the last few days.  It may be one gang, there may be more, but they are armed and should not be confronted.  They dress in black and wear balaclavas, so not easily identifiable.

A couple of armed robberies have occurred recently, and we are being warned to ensure that doors and windows are not left open or unlocked unless security gates and window bars are in place.  Obviously, you are urged to ensure that all other security measures that are installed on your premises are in good working order, and that alarms and beams are set during the hours of darkness or when you are away from home.  You owe it to yourself and your family that you are protected at all times.

Please pass this message on to neighbours and friends, particularly those who are not members of HBNW.  It’s all about awareness and safety of all members of the community, so spread the word.

0 Comments Continue reading

21 Feb 2011

Kidnapped girl sold for R25000, leads to Hout Bay

Kidnapped girl sold for R25000, leads to Hout Bay

Taken from iol.co.za:

Nearly 20 years ago, five-year-old Florencia Langenhoven left her Ravensmead home to play in the street. She never returned.

A few weeks later a neighbour, Aubrey Hendricks, admitted to snatching her and told her mother he had sold the fair-haired, green-eyed girl to a man in Grabouw for R25 000.

Hendricks was jailed for 10 years.

Florencia has not been seen since. She was last seen on December 5, 1993 in the street outside her home.

About an hour later Florencia’s mother, Cathy Langenhoven, noticed her daughter was no longer there.

Police spokesman Frederick van Wyk said an abduction docket was opened.

Hendricks, then 48 years old, was arrested and convicted of having snatched Florencia.

Van Wyk said Hendricks had admitted he abducted Florencia. He said he had given her to a man he identified only as Sipho. He was sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment, which he served at the Helderberg Prison.

His information about Sipho was followed up, but nothing came of this.

Van Wyk said that the year after Florencia disappeared, police, following up on leads, searched an informal settlement in Hout Bay for her, but found nothing.

Van Wyk said bushes in Kort Street, Grabouw, had been scoured with the help of sniffer dogs.

Again police came up empty-handed.

Van Wyk said that on October 5, 1994, nearly a year after Florencia had last been seen, human remains were discovered in Nyanga.

It was hoped these were Florencia’s so the case could be closed, but the remains turned out to be those of a boy.

Van Wyk said no leads or information had surfaced over the years.

Michelle Ohlsson, whose nine-year-old son Matthew disappeared 14 years ago, said Langenhoven, with whom she is friends, and her family had struggled to cope after Florencia disappeared. The family did not have a telephone or cellphones and were rarely at their Ravensmead home.

Ohlsson said she often battled to get hold of the family.

The Cape Times was unable to reach them.

Ohlsson said Hendricks had been arrested a few weeks after Florencia disappeared.

“He admitted to selling her. He told (Langenhoven): ‘I sold your child to a person in Grabouw for R25 000.’ But Florencia wasn’t found.”

Ohlsson said that after Hendricks had served his sentence, Langenhoven had seen him in Cape Town.

“She was shaken.”

Langenhoven had later tried to get hold of Hendricks as she wanted to beg him for more information about Florencia. But she did not see him again.

0 Comments Continue reading
http://790tv.co.za/wordpress/wp-content/themes/selecta