Bronwen Lankers-Byrne doing something for Chappies and Hout Bay

Whether you are for or against the toll being built on Chapmans Peak Drive, Hout Bay needs people like Bronwen Lankers-Byrne, who stand by their opinion and are passionate about their community!

taken from iol.co.za/Zara Nicholson

HUNGER striker, Hout Bay activist Bronwen Lankers-Byrne has not taken food for five days because of her opposition to the controversial new Chapman’s Peak toll plaza and office block.

Lankers-Byrne started her hunger strike at 7am on Sunday on Chapman’s Peak, opposite the construction site.

The former Buddhist nun, 59, fasted for 19 days about two decades ago.

She said initially she was worried that she might not be as strong as she was before, but said yesterday that she felt as good as she did 20 years ago.

Lankers-Byrne has been sitting opposite the construction site every day from 7am to 7pm and said she would only stop if construction was halted and opposition civil society groups were able to hold transparent talks with the provincial government and Entilini.

Lankers-Byrne told the Cape Times yesterday: “I got sick on Sunday and Monday, but by Tuesday I was fine.

“After three days my pounding headache and the nausea disappeared.

“I feel weaker but a lot clearer in my head and very strong spiritually.”

Lankers-Byrne has only been drinking between six and 10 litres of water a day, and said she only felt hungry when she walked past restaurants on her way to the Chapman’s Peak construction site in the morning.

She said she had received support from passers-by.

“Everyone who stops is so interested and I engage with them,” Lankers-Byrne said.

“They sign the petition opposing the construction and we even received a R2 000 donation for court action.”

More than 160 people have signed the petition against the site, while the Civil Rights Action Group has collected about 4 000 signatures.

Lankers-Byrne said earlier this week that it seemed that some people had vandalised the foundation, which builders had started last week. She said that the construction company had, however, continued building this week despite the widespread opposition to the project.

Civil society groups maintain that the building being constructed is not the same building seen on the plans they commented on during the public participation process.

Two weeks ago Transport and Public Works MEC Robin Carlisle gave the go-ahead for construction to begin on the toll plaza and office block development, worth R54 million.

However, the Hout Bay Residents Association is still expected to file for an urgent interdict to stop construction of the disputed development.

 

Promote Post

You must be logged in to post a comment.

http://790tv.co.za/wordpress/wp-content/themes/selecta